Counseling and Support Services

The sponsoring institution will make available appropriate confidential referrals for counseling and support services. Residents should have available to them a variety of sources to assist them through the stressful period of housestaff training. The Housestaff Affairs Office will assist the program directors and the residents in locating these services.

Residents who feel the need for counseling should discuss this with the appropriate faculty members, the program director or, if they wish to remain anonymous to the Program, the Office of Housestaff Affairs. Confidentiality will be preserved and is of the highest priority. Referrals through the Office of Housestaff Affairs can be made to individuals within the University and outside the University.

Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

The College of Medicine Employee Assistance Program (RAP) is designed to help residents and their families with concerns or problems that may be troubling them. The mission of the program is to develop and maintain a positive and productive work environment for residents, interns, and fellows.

How the EAP can help: By providing a system of short-term, confidential, professional counseling and referral services to residents and their families, counselors from the program teach residents how to manage their problems when their job is affected.

Concerns the EAP addresses

  • Stress
  • Adjustment to life changes
  • Marital or relationship difficulties
  • Parenting issues
  • Family illness
  • Job burnout
  • Anger
  • Depression
  • Anxiety
  • Gambling
  • Alcohol or chemical dependency

How to know if EPA is needed: If any of the above or other concerns have adversely affected your job performance or personal life, you may consider assistance from the EAP to help you identify and resolve the problem.

Eligibility for EAP benefits: Benefits-eligible residents, interns, and fellows and their legal spouses, and other eligible dependents all qualify for EAP benefits.

How to access EAP: There are two (2) different ways to obtain help from your EPA:

  • Self-Referral : This is a completely confidential method of getting help for yourself by simply calling the EAP 24-hour number at (352)392-5787.
  • Employer Referral : if your problems visibly affect your job performance, your training director, faculty advisor or GME dean may recommend that you access the EAP for an evaluation. Your supervisor will not have access to your records. Participation in the EAP is not included in your personnel files.

Payment for EPA: The UF College of Medicine pays for the basic services of the EAP and regards the program as a fringe benefit. Up to the first three visits to a provider are free. If more services are needed, the counselor will coordinate continued care with your health benefits plan.

Confidentiality: All discussions with EAP counselors, records of treatment or assistance, and all follow-up care are strictly confidential. Counselors follow professional standards and a strict code of 3 ethics, which includes a firm commitment to protect and uphold privacy and confidentiality.

Appointments: To arrange an appointment, please call (352) 392-5787 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Simply state that you need a EAP appointment. We have flexible hours and a convenient location to accommodate the needs of you and your family.