- Ronald McDonald House of North Central Florida: assists families with seriously ill children by providing temporary housing, basic amenities and psychosocial support during medical treatment.
- Cost: There is a recommended donation of $15/night for a room. However, no family will be turned away due to an inability to pay.
- Eligibility: Patients must be on a pediatric service and age 21 or younger; patients must reside outside of Alachua County; anyone age 18+ must successfully pass a background screening.
- Gainesville: Local Hotel Listing
- Gainesville: Long Term Lodging Options
Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
The FMLA entitles eligible employees of covered employers to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons with continuation of group health insurance coverage under the same terms and conditions as if the employee had not taken leave. Eligible employees are entitled to twelve workweeks of leave in a 12-month period:
- to care for the employee’s spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition
- due to an employee’s serious health condition
Social Security Disability
SSI makes monthly payments to people with low income and limited resources who are 65 or older, or blind, or disabled. Your child, if younger than age 18, can qualify if he or she has a physical or mental condition, or combination of conditions, that meets Social Security’s definition of disability for children, and if his or her income and resources fall within the eligibility limits.
- Benefits for Children with Disabilities
- What You Should Know Before Applying
- SSI Child Disability Starter Kit
If you are struggling to understand your insurance benefits and/or compare & contrast plans to assure the best coverage possible, the Shands Hospital Admitting Office may be able to assist you.
- In-person: Admissions Office, North Tower, Level 1
- By phone: (352)-265-0236
Medicaid Transportation: patients covered under a Florida Medicaid plan have access to transportation assistance services to assure Medicaid recipients can regularly access medical care.
- You must call at least 48 hours before the appointment to schedule transportation.
- Things you need to know before calling.
- Medicaid Member ID
- Name, DOB, home/pickup address, name of any passengers
- Appointment time and date
- Address of appointment: Shands Hospital- 1600 SW Archer Road Gainesville, Florida 32610
- Once you have the above information, call your assigned Medicaid provider listed below and request to arrange transportation to your medical appointment.
- Sunshine State: (877-659-8421)
- United Healthcare: (866-726-1457)
- Humana Medicaid: (866-726-1457)
- Wellcare & Staywell: (866-591-4066)
- Prestige: (855-381-3778)
- CMS Ped-I-Care: (855-739-5986)
- Molina: (866-528-0454)